Akai APC Key 25 key MIDI Controller
- Keys: 25 note velocity-sensitive keys
- Buttons & Knobs: 1 Sustain button, 1 Play/Pause button, 1 Stop All Clips button, 1 Shift button, 4 Directional arrow buttons, Scene Launch buttons: Clip Stop, Solo, Rec Arm, Mute, or Select, 40 backlit clip-launch buttons in 5x8 matrix, 8 270º knobs with 4 modes
- Octaves: 10 octave range with octave up/down buttons
- Bundled Software: Ableton Live Lite, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech, SONiVOX Twist, and Toolroom artist launch packs
- Power: USB powered
- Connectivity: USB
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.5 or later + Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10;
- Dimensions: 12.25" x 7.6" x 1.6"
- Weight: 1.7 lbs.
The Akai APC appeared on our recommended list for 25 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards from June 2017 until May 2020 when it was out-ranked by other keyboards.
The APC Key 25 is a hybrid of an Ableton Performance Controller and keyboard designed for performing musicians and composers alike.
It features a multi-color clip-launching grid used to trigger sound clips or samples. The tri-color lighting shows three clip statuses—loaded, playing, and recording that provides visual feedback so you can perform efficiently without looking at your computer.
The controls are pre-mapped with Ableton Live for easy set-up while the knobs assignable for custom mapping options.
This is a good choice for electronic musicians and beginners alike.