Akai APC Key 25 key MIDI Controller
The Akai APC appeared on our recommended list for 25 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards from June 2017 until May 2020 when it was out-ranked by other keyboards.
The APC Key 25 is a hybrid of an Ableton Performance Controller and keyboard designed for performing musicians and composers alike.
It features a multi-color clip-launching grid used to trigger sound clips or samples. The tri-color lighting shows three clip statuses—loaded, playing, and recording that provides visual feedback so you can perform efficiently without looking at your computer.
The controls are pre-mapped with Ableton Live for easy set-up while the knobs assignable for custom mapping options.
This is a good choice for electronic musicians and beginners alike.
- Keys: 25 note velocity-sensitive keys
- Buttons & Knobs: 1 Sustain button, 1 Play/Pause button, 1 Stop All Clips button, 1 Shift button, 4 Directional arrow buttons, Scene Launch buttons: Clip Stop, Solo, Rec Arm, Mute, or Select, 40 backlit clip-launch buttons in 5x8 matrix, 8 270º knobs with 4 modes
- Octaves: 10 octave range with octave up/down buttons
- Bundled Software: Ableton Live Lite, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech, SONiVOX Twist, and Toolroom artist launch packs
- Power: USB powered
- Connectivity: USB
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.5 or later + Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10;
- Dimensions: 12.25" x 7.6" x 1.6"
- Weight: 1.7 lbs.