Akai Professional Advance - 49 Key MIDI Controller Keyboard (Discontinued)
The Akai Professional Advance 49 appeared on our recommended list for 49 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards when we published the first edition back in February 2016 but was removed when we published the following edition in July 2017.
Akai's Advance series of MIDI keyboards differs from the MPK series in that they have a strong emphasis on virtual instrument control - both for recording and live performance.
It comes with their Virtual Instrument Player (VIP) software which can run as a stand alone application, or as a plugin with any AU, VST, or AAX compatible DAW - this means you can control nearly all VSTi's with or without a DAW running making it ideal for live use.
The VIP software lets you control, edit, and mix up to 8 VSTi's in real time and the full color screen provides real time reporting on plugin parameters. When used as a plugin, you can run unlimited instances of VIP. For more information on the VIP software see this video demo.
It comes with templates for controlling Ableton, Cubase, Logic, Bitwig, FL studio and Reaper, and you can also set up custom templates for any other DAW you have.
- Keys: 49 semi-weighted, velocity sensitive with aftertouch.
- Pads: 8 MPC style which are velocity and pressure sensitive with RGB illumination.
- Octaves: 10 by using Octave Up and Octave Down controls.
- Arpeggiator: Yes.
- Motorized Controls: No.
- Bundled Software: No - but comes with 16GB of sounds.
- Power: USB or an optional external power adapter.
- Connectivity: USB, 5-pin MIDI in and out, 2 x TRS inputs for expression pedal and sustain pedal or footswitch input.
- Control Hardware Directly: Yes
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.8 or later + Windows 10, 8, and 7.
- Dimensions: 29.52" x 11.52" x 3.48"
- Weight 9.92 lbs
This video provides a good look at the Akai Professional Advance 49: