Akai Professional MPK249 - 49-Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
Gearank High Notes
- 2018.05: Equal Highest Rated MIDI Keyboard Controller Under $500
- Nektar Panorama P4
- Nektar Panorama P4
- 2017.07: Highest Rated 49 Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
- 2016.02: Highest Rated 49 Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
The MPK249 first appeared on our recommended list for 49 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards when we published the first edition in February 2016 where it remained for two subsequent editions until it was removed in April 2020 when it was removed due to being out-ranked by other keyboards.
Then in May 2021 it had strong enough ratings to go back on the list for another edition, but was removed when it was out-ranked again in September 2022
Akai Professional are a stand-out leader in MIDI controller keyboards with the smaller MPK225 also retaining its place as one of our recommended MIDI controllers for the third year in a row.
The MPK249 lets you control DAWs with presets for most major software, virtual instruments, effects plugins and other external hardware.
Features include semi-weighted keys with aftertouch, 16 pads, 24 assignable knobs and faders, and backlit LCD screen to name a few.
- Keys: 49 full size semi-weighted with aftertouch.
- Pads: 16 which are velocity and pressure sensitive and they light up MPC style (with full RGB) - there are also 4 Pad banks giving you 64 inputs.
- Octaves: 10 by using Octave Up and Octave Down controls.
- Arpeggiator: Yes.
- Motorized Controls: No.
- Bundled Software: Ableton Live Lite DAW, MPC Essentials software sampler, and the Air Hybrid 3 and SONiVOX Twist virtual synths.
- Power: USB powered and can use an optional power adapter (sold separately).
- Connectivity: USB and 5-pin MIDI out and MIDI in, 2 x TRS inputs for expression pedal and sustain pedal or footswitch input.
- Control Hardware Directly: Yes
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later + Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP, also iOS compatible via CCK.
- Dimensions: 29" x 12.25" x 3.38"
- Weight 12.6 lbs
Here's a fairly reasonable in-depth review of the MPK249: