Albatross GK019 DIY Electric Guitar Kit (Discontinued)
The Albatross GK019 lets you build and customize your very own semi-hollow electric guitar, following the profile of the popular ES-335.
What makes this kit special is the inclusion of a Bigsby style tail, which is quite surprising for its price tag. As expected it comes with all the necessary parts to build the guitar, including a semi-hollow body that features a nice looking flamed maple veneer on its basswood top and mahogany sides. The body also features two F-holes that complete its semi-hollow look. Speaking . of holes, all necessary holes are pre-drilled so you just have to fit in the parts together. Finally, the body is unfinished, so you can apply whatever type and color finish you prefer.
- Building Difficulty: 8/10
- Body: Semi-hollow ES-335 Style
- Tonewood: Basswood top with Flamed Maple Veneer and Mahogany sides (Semi-Hollow)
- Neck: Mahogany Set-in Neck
- Fingerboard: Rosewood with Pearloid Dot Inlays
- Pickups: Two Humbuckers (Chrome)
- Controls: 2 x Volume Knobs, 2 x Tone Knobs, 3-Way Pickup Switch
- Special Hardware: Bridge with Bigsby-style Tailpiece
Most reviewers found the overall quality of the kit to be great considering its semi-hollow body design and extra hardware. Many liked the flamed maple look of the body, which works well with many types of finishes, especially transparent ones.
There were some who reported that their kit did not come with instructions, while a few others complained about minor flaws. One user noted that the Albatross GK019 sounded better when he replaced the bridge.
If you're looking to craft your own semi-hollow body electric guitar in the style of the popular "Mickey Mouse" double cutaway 335 shape, then do checkout the Albatross GK019 guitar kit.