Alesis VI25 25-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
This was one of the 25 key controllers that we were recommending in 2016, so although it didn't hold onto its position in the 2017 list, it's still a reasonably good option. I should also point out that its Gearank score didn't go down this year, the reason it didn't make it into the 2017 list is simply because newer controllers came out that achieved higher scores.
Most of the online reviews for the VI25 are quite positive with this keyboard being much more liked than the lower cost Alesis V25 which scored lower ratings.
You'll appreciate the full sized keys if you're a piano or full sized synth player, however you might find the positioning of the Mod wheels a little odd as one reviewer noted, because they are situated above and to the left of the keys instead of being adjacent.
Most users report that it's relatively straight forward to set up with most of the major DAWs, however some did report that they thought there could have been better instructions provided for DAW setup generally.
If you'd like to see our current list of recommended options, please read The Best 25 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards.
- Keys: 25 full size semi-weighted with channel aftertouch.
- Pads: 16 which are velocity sensitive and they light up MPC style (with full RGB).
- Buttons & Knobs: 24 buttons and 8 knobs which can all be assigned in your DAW.
- Octaves: Has Octave Up and Octave Down buttons.
- Bundled Software: VI25 Editor, Ableton Live Lite DAW, and the AIR Music Tech Xpand!2 multitimbral workstation.
- Power: USB powered.
- Connectivity: USB and 5-pin MIDI out.
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.8 or later + Windows 8 and 7.
- Dimensions: 24.6" x 12.4" x 4.5"
- Weight 7.8 lbs