Alesis VI49 49-Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
In addition to its 16 pads, the Alesis VI49 also has 36 buttons and 12 knobs which are all assignable for controlling virtual instrument and effects plugins.
It works with most major DAWs and comes with a downloadable software editor.
- Keys: 49 full size, square front, semi-weighted with aftertouch.
- Pads: 16 velocity sensitive with RGB illumination.
- Arpeggiator: No.
- Motorized Controls: No.
- Bundled Software: Ableton Live Lite and Xpand!2 by AIR Music Tech.
- Power: USB or optional separate power supply.
- Connectivity: USB, 5-pin MIDI out, 1 x TRS input for sustain pedal.
- Control Hardware Directly: Yes.
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.8 or later + Windows 10, 8, and 7.
- Dimensions: 24.6" x 12.4" x 4.5"
- Weight Not specified
Customer reviews are consistent in saying this keyboard is solidly built and that the keys and pads feel good to use. A repeated phrase is that it offers good value for money.
Some people felt that faders should have been included while others point to the large number of buttons as being a better alternative to faders - it seems this is a matter of personal taste.
NB: This had a Gearank score of 86 back in January 2016, however its ratings have dropped since then and it's no longer on our main recommended list - for our current recommendations see our guide to The Best 49 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards.
Here's an overview from when it was first released at NAMM 2014: