ART Voice Channel - Stereo Channel Strip & Mic Preamp
Gearank High Notes
The ART Voice Channel was on our recommended list for Microphone Preamps Under $500 from February 2018 until it was removed in May 2019 due to a price increase which made it ineligible for that list.
It remains on our list for Channel Strips.
|Sound On Sound||Mike Senior||90/100|
The ART Voice Channel is a full featured tube preamp with built-in dynamics processor, EQ and digital output, and rightly so because Advanced Research and Technology or ART designed it to be an all-one-one preamp solution.
At the core of this unit is a class A tube preamp circuit with a 12AX7 tube, selectable voltage plate and variable impedance - which makes the preamp by itself quite versatile.
Factor in its other features which include gate, compressor, expander, de-esser and parametric EQ - and you get a truly versatile preamp that can even do digital recording via its built-in analog to digital converter and USB output for direct recording.
- Channels: 1
- Mic Preamp: 12AX7 Tube Driven
- Sample Rate: 44.1 to 192 KHz
- Frequency Response: 16Hz - 42kHz (-1dB)
- Input Connectors: 2 x Combo (XLR/Hi-Z), 6 x Combo (XLR/Line), 1 x ADAT
- Output Connectors: 1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4", 1 x 1/4" (Mic Pre Out), 2 x S/PDIF
- Control Knobs: Gain, Impedance, Threshold, Attack/mSec, Ratio, Release/Sec, De-esser, De-esser Freq, Expander/Gate threshold, Low, Mid1, Mid1-Freq, Mid2, Mid2-Freq, High, Output Level, Sample Rate/Dither
- Control Buttons: Power, Pad, Invert, Phantom Power, Low Cut, Tube Voltage, Expand/Gate, Low Frequency, High Frequency, EQ Position, EQ Bypass, Optical Output
- Dimensions: 3.5" x 9.17" x 19"
- Weight: 10.5 lbs.
This video has a detailed review: