Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Closed-Back Studio Headphones
Gearank High Notes
- 2021.01: Highest Rated Closed Back Headphones for Recording Under $50
- 2021.01: Highest Rated Studio Headphones Under $50
- 2020.02: Highest Rated Closed Back Headphones Under $50
- 2020.01: Highest Rated Studio Headphones Under $50
The ATH-M20x first appeared on our recommended list for Closed Back Headphones for Recording Under $100 from September 2017 until August 2018 when it had been out-ranked by the higher priced Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and Sony MDR-7506.
Then in February 2020 we created a new list for Closed Back Headphones for Recording Under $50 and the ATH-M20x debuted in the #1 ranked position!
It held the top spot until January 2022 when it was out-ranked by the Yamaha HPH-50 and LyxPro HAS-10.
The ATH-M20x is the most affordable pair of headphones on Audio-Technica's M-series.
These inexpensive headphones offer tight-sealed ear cups for sound isolation with minimal bleeding. The circular ear pads provide comfort during long sessions of listening.
They feature 40mm neodymium magnet drivers that deliver an accurate frequency response suitable for both recording and mixing.
While being the "baby brother" of the more popular ATH-M50x, it still shares the same DNA with it's build and sound signature.
It is adequate for general purpose studio applications like tracking and some mixing. Get it if you want to get into the Audio-Technica brand sound for mixing. Be wary though: you might end up hooked on the sound!
- Type: Closed-Back
- Driver Type: Dynamic
- Driver Diameter: 40 mm
- Magnet Type: Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 15 - 20,000 Hz
- Maximum Input Power: 700 mW at 1 kHz
- Sensitivity: 96 dB
- Impedance: 47 Ohms
- Weight: 190 g (6.7 oz), without cable and connector
- Cable: 3.0 m (9.8'), straight, left-side exit