Boss Micro BR BR-80 Multitrack Digital 8-Track Recorder & USB Audio Interface
The Boss Micro BR BR-80 is a portable multitrack recorder that fits in your pocket and is designed for use by all musicians, but it comes with some special features specifically designed for guitarists including Roland's COSM amp and effect emulators.
It has three modes you can use it in:
- MTR - multi-track recorder
- eBand - jam along with prerecorded tracks
- Live Rec - record using the built-in stereo condenser mic
- Simultaneous recording tracks: 2
- Tracks playback/mix simultaneously: 8
- Virtual tracks: 64
- Inputs: 1 x Guitar/Mic and 1 x line level
- Outputs: Phones/Line out + USB
- Sample rate: 44.1kHz
- Bit rate: 24-bit
- On-board effects: EQ, reverb, 40 amp models, mastering tools, vocal processing including doubling, harmony effects, pitch correction and more
- Effects send: No
- USB audio interface: 2 channels
- Storage medium: SD/SDHC card - up to 32GB
- Export tracks to computer: Yes
The main thing owners praise the Boss Micro BR BR-80 for are its portability, clean sound, and that it's a great device for capturing musical ideas. It has been particularly well-received by guitarists for its amp modeling features allowing you to plug your guitar in directly, even when using pedals.
The negative reviews focus on the difficulty in using the export function, and a few users report difficulty using the control wheel. There are also some complaints about the fact that the A/C adapter is sold separately, however, it also runs on USB Bus power or 2 AA batteries.
Overall, if you're looking for something portable you can record ideas with at any time, and intend to use it as an audio interface, then you'll find the Boss Micro BR BR-80 fits the bill nicely, but you wouldn't want it to be your primary platform for producing music on - it's best thought of as a 'sketch-pad' for recording.