Cerwin-Vega EL-36C 18" 1000W Passive Subwoofer (Discontinued)
This unique design reminds me a bit of the W-bins we used to use in the old days because it uses the chamber as a big component of producing its sound (and because it's big and heavy).
The main point of this design is to replicate the effect you get from a 36" woofer.
It's worth noting that while customer reviews tend to be very positive, forum discussions about Cerwin-Vega's designs tend to be very polarized - people either love or hate them with little in between.
- Frequency Response: 35 Hz to 350 Hz (-10 dB)
- Crossover: N/A
- Max SPL: Not specified
- Power Rating: 500 Watts RMS - 1000 Watts Program - 2000 Watts Peak. The manufacturer recommends driving this with a power amp from 750W to 100W at 8 Ohms
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Driver: 18" horn with 6.5 feet of folded horn chamber which Cerwin-Vega says works similar to a 36" driver
- Input Connectors: ¼” Phono and Speakon
- Enclosure Material: Multi-ply
- Dimensions: 36” x 24” x 36”
- Weight: 159.3 lbs (72.2 kg)
Most of the customer reviews say this has an amazing sound with a huge punchy output - someone even used the word "earthquake" to describe the sound. The majority of reviews say this produces a lot more bass than standard front-loaded designs.
The one complaint that does come up consistently by people that own these are the weight - it takes a couple of strong people to lift these into the back of a truck or van.
If you want the maximum amount bass projection you can get, then get this.