Doepfer LMK4+ 88-Key Hammer Action MIDI Keyboard Controller
The LMK4+ was on our recommended list for 88 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards from October 2018 until June 2021.
Doepfer is very well regarded in their home country of Germany, in fact this controller is used by film composer Hans Zimmer, and that reputation has expanded around the world.
The LMK4+ is a significant step up from the lower cost LMK2+ with adjustable aftertouch, 32 velocity curves, 8 zones with proportionally controllable volume and a much bigger, and I would say more practical, control panel.
To help you get the most out of the greater number of features, there is also a 3rd party freeware editor software by Michael Reukauff for Windows, however there doesn't seem to be English documentation for it.
If you want one of the best hammer action controllers that is also road tough, then this is for you. At 52.9 lbs, it is no lightweight so it may be an issue if you gig without the assistance of roadies. As a studio fixture however, it fares excellently.
- Keys: 88 graded hammer-action Fatar T88P/40GH keybed with velocity sensitivity and adjustable aftertouch.
- Zones: 8 overlapping assignable zones - Aftertouch (with assignable curves per zone), Wheels, external Footswitches and Pedal can be turned on/off for each zone
- Pads: No.
- Controls: Pitchbend wheel, Assignable whee, Rotary Knob, 2 Sliders, Pedals and Footswitches.
- Automap: No.
- Power: 3-pin XLR AC power adapter included and USB bus power (the USB host has to be able to supply 200mA).
- Connectivity: 2 x 5-Pin MIDI Out, 1 x 5-Pin MIDI In and USB 2.0 MIDI (USB sends the same data as MIDI 1). It also has a 1/4" jack for volume/sweep and a 1/4" jack for sustain/sostenuto..
- Dimensions: 61.81" (L) x 11.02" (W) x 4.72" (H).
- Weight: 52.9 lbs. (includes the flight case)
- Bundled Software: Downloadable 3rd party Editor.
- Compatibility: Windows for the freeware Editor.
This video demonstrates the previous version which didn't have USB: