Electro-Voice SB122 12" 400W Passive Subwoofer
The Electro-Voice SB122 is extremely popular with people who only need a small passive sub.
It has a built-in low pass filter which means you can connect it in parallel with your main speakers without needing a separate amplifier, however the filter is completely transparent below 160 Hz so you can also use it in a biamped situation as well - just be careful not to drop below the minimum 6 Ohm rating by the manufacturer.
- Frequency Response: 43 Hz to 200 Hz (-10 dB)
- Crossover: 80 Hz to 160 Hz
- Sensitivity: 1W/1m: 99 dB
- Max SPL: 1m (calc): 131 dB
- Power Rating: 400 Watts continuous - 1600 Watts peak
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Driver: 12"
- Input Connectors: 2 x Parallel Speakon Inputs
- Enclosure Material: Composite
- Dimensions: 23.1" x 16.9" x 12.3"
- Weight: 33 lbs (15 kg)
Quite a lot of customer reviews say this sounds like it's bigger than a 12" sub - some even said they replaced their larger heavier subwoofers with these and were quite satisfied with the results.
There were no consistently reported problems with these.
These are a good option if you need small passive sub. If you need something bigger then check out our guide to The Best PA Subwoofers.