IK Multimedia iRig PRO Duo iPad USB Audio Interface (Discontinued)
IK Multimedia is known for iRig, a line of pocket-sized audio interfaces that simplified recording for many musicians. The iRig Pro secured for them a spot on this list with its combination of portability, flexibility and practicality. It owes its portability to its bus powered circuit, only requiring a 9V battery if you need 48V phantom power. For flexibility, the iRig Pro is equipped with a combo jack that lets you connect microphones, guitars, other instruments and line-level sources. The conveniently placed gain knob and LED indicator simplifies adjustments and setups. This unit comes bundled with three cables, a lightning cable for connecting to iOS devices, a USB cable for connecting to Mac and PC, and a MIDI cable.
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/96kHz
- Connectors: Lightning, USB
- Simultaneous Channels: 1
- Inputs: 1 x XLR / 1/4" Combo (Line/Hi-Z Level)
- MIDI: 2.5mm to MIDI (Input Only)
- Power: Bus powered by iOS (9V battery needed for phantom power)
- Can charge IOS unit: No
- Phantom Power: 48V (requires 9V battery)
- Bundled Software: AmpliTube Metal (Mac), T-RackS CS Classic (Mac), and SampleTank 3 SE (Mac), AmpliTube Free (iOS), SampleTank Free (iOS), and iGrand Piano Free (iOS) and more after registering the product online.
The market response for the iRig Pro is overwhelmingly favorable, with its practicality and mobility being its most commended traits. Its intuitive design, compact size and flexible combo XLR input makes it a great all-in-one recording partner that can be carried anywhere much like the iPad. While most commendations were written by guitar players, it also impressed many podcasters, vocalists, keyboardists and many more.
There were a few who found the plastic casing and gain knob to be a bit flimsy, and they recommend handling the unit with extra care.
The IK Multimedia iRig Pro is ideal for those put mobility and portability as their top priority.