Korg MS-20 Mini Semi-modular Analog Synthesizer Keyboard
Based on the original MS-20 from 1978, this modern reproduction is more compact and portable, at just around 86% scale compared to its predecessor.
Depeche Mode, Chvrches, Gorillaz and Daft Punk are just a few of the long list of big name artists that have put the Korg MS-20 to good use.
Even with its smaller profile, this synth carries much of the same functionality and sound as the original, and it also retains its vintage patchable design.
It comes with 2 oscillators with ring modulation, envelope generators, and improved noise reduction.
Other features include high pass - low pass filters, modern USB connectivity, and a more quieter VCA.
- Polyphony: Monophonic
- Keys: 37 Mini-keys
- Oscillator: 2 x VCO, 1 x LFO
- Filter: 1 x Highpass 2-pole VCF, 1 x Lowpass 2-pole VCF
- Envelope: 2 x EG
- LFO: waveforms (sine, sawtooth, square)
- Additional Controllers: Pitchbend, Mod Button
- Step Sequencer: _ sequences, _-steps
- Audio Input: 1 x 1/8" (signal in)
- Audio Ouput: 1 x 1/8" (signal out), 1 x 1/8" (Headphones)
- Other Connectivity: 1/8" CV Patching, USB (Type B)
- Power: 9V DC power supply (included)
- Dimensions: 8.19" x 19.41" x 10.12"
- Weight: 10.58 lbs.
Amazing is a word that seems to resonate with many of today's MS-20 users. Many of whom describe it as fat sounding, even those who have experienced the original find it to be authentic in terms of features and sound. It is also commended for being fun to play with, even Dan 'JD73' Goldman of Music Radar concludes his review favorably by saying: "A faithful resurrection of the MS-20, at a crazily good price. Everyone should own one!
There are a few who feel that the knobs are not as sturdy as the original release. The price tag can also be off-putting for some.
With its legacy and market reputation, the Korg MS-20 is a great investment for those who want to take their synth playing to the next level.
Although this was previously on our recommended list, there are now more highly rated options available that you can see in our guide to The Best Synthesizer Keyboards.