Peavey Dark Matter 112 12" Powered PA Speaker
Peavey's Dark Matter 112, a 12" powered speaker has versatile tuning capabilities via built-in DSP technology.
The unit's digital brain lets you fine tune the resulting sound to match different rooms, by selecting preset EQ curves or by changing the bass and treble parameters yourself.
The 205W (Continuous) amplifier section drives a 12" woofer and 1.4" tweeter with a max SPL of 124dB, a combination that's meant for filling up small rooms and venues. Another interesting feature of this speaker is its proprietary Quadratic Throat Waveguide, which improves clarity of the higher frequencies. Other features include fan cooling and injection-molded plastic exterior.
- LF Driver: 12" Cone, 1.5" Voice Coil
- HF Driver: 1.4" Titanium Diaphragm Compression
- Amplifier: Bi-amplified Class D
- Output Power Peak: 660W (410W LF, 250W HF)
- Output Power Continuous: : 205W (125W LF, 80W HF)
- Frequency Response: 68Hz-19kHz (+/- 6dB)
- Maximum Peak SPL: 124dB
- Crossover Frequency: 3.1kHz
- Enclosure: Plastic
- Mounting: Pole
- Inputs: 1 x XLR/TRS Combo
- Outputs: 1 x XLR
- Controls: Power Switch, Gain Knob, Mic/Line Button, ADSP Switch with LCD Screen, Grnd Lift Button
- Dimensions: 25.3" x 14.38" x 14"
- Weight: 35 lbs.
Most reviewers are impressed with the Peavey Dark Matter 112's sound quality and versatility, and many of them use for their rehearsal rooms and even as monitors for their recording studios. Good reports of its sound pour in from vocalists, guitarists, bassists, drummers and even DJs. There were also a good number of users who were happy with its durability and value for money.
Lack of projection came up a few times in the reviews, from people that used the speaker for bigger/open venues.
Other than its obvious lack of output, the Peavey Dark Matter 112 is a good budget active speaker to consider for small venue performances and events.
This was on our recommended list from 26 April 2017 until 11 December 2017, but we removed it because there were newly higher rated options to recommend in its class - you can see those in our guide to the Highest Rated Powered PA Speakers.