PreSonus Sceptre S6 Powered Studio Monitor
Gearank High Notes
- 2021.09: Highest Rated Studio Monitor between $500 and $1000
- 2019.10: Equal Highest Rated Studio Monitor between $300 and $500
- 2018.04: Equal Highest Rated Studio Monitor between $300 and $500
- 2017.03: Equal Highest Rated Studio Monitor between $200 and $500
The Sceptre S6 first appeared on our recommended list for Studio Monitors Under $500 in our March 2017 edition.
It remained on the list for a total of 5 editions where it consistently topped the rankings.
It came of the list in February 2022 when it was out-ranked by other models.
Just one look at the PreSonus Sceptre S6 and you'll notice its standout coaxial design, where the 1" tweeter is positioned front and center of the 6.5" woofer.
Compared to traditional 2-way speakers where the two are separated, this back-to-back configuration allows for a more balanced dispersion.
To better use this design, PreSonus equipped the Sceptre S6 with a dual-core DSP that handles crossover frequency adjustments.
The 180W Class D amplifier features an internal heat sink for longevity and performance.
Controls include level adjustment knob and pre-programmed "acoustic tuning" buttons that let you customize the resulting sound to match the room that you are using it in.
The Sceptre S6 is truly unconventional with its design philosophy. The result is a clear midrange, large sweet spot, and stunning stereo separation and depth.
Get it if you tend to mix music with dense layers. If you need low-frequency accuracy, the design may not be to your liking.
- Driver: 6.5" Woofer, 1" Dome Tweeter
- Amplifier: 90W LF, 90W HF
- Inputs: 1 x XLR, 1 x TRS
- Frequency Response: 42Hz–23kHz (-10dB)
- Crossover Frequency: 2.2 kHz
- Enclosure: Front Ported
- Controls: Level, Acoustic Space, HF Driver, HP Filter
- Dimensions: 13.2" x 9" x 12.2"
- Weight: 18.8 lbs.
|Sound On Sound||Paul White||96/100|
|Sounds and Gear||saintjoe||90/100|
Note that studio monitors are not to be confused with Stage Monitors.