QSC K8 8" Powered PA Speaker - 1000W (Discontinued)
Gearank High Note
In January 2016 this was the Equal Highest Rated Powered PA Speaker Under $1000.
The QSC K8 retains some of the features of its larger K10 & K12 siblings including the 1000W (Continuous) amplifier and 1.75" diaphragm compression driver.
Considering that its just $50 cheaper, and only 2 lbs. lighter than the K10, many still opt for the smaller K8 for its midrange emphasis, which translates to better clarity and compatibility with subwoofers.
For its compact size, the QSC K8 can go up to 127 dB Max SPL, just two decibels short of the bigger 10" model. This makes it more than adequate for handling small to medium size venues. It also comes equipped with built-in DSP and controls for fine tuning the resulting sound, making it easy to integrate into existing setups.
- LF Driver: 8" Cone, 4" Voice-coil
- HF Driver: 1.75" Diaphragm Compression
- Amplifier: Bi-amplified Class D
- Output Power Peak: 2000W (1000W LF, 1000W HF)
- Output Power Continuous: : 1000W (500W LF, 500W HF)
- Frequency Response: 66Hz - 18kHz (-6dB) | 61Hz - 20kHz (-10dB)
- Maximum Peak SPL: 127dB
- Crossover Frequency: 2kHz
- Enclosure: ABS Thermoplastic
- Mounting: Pole, Optional Yoke Mount Kit
- Inputs: 2 x XLR/TRS Combo, 2 x RCA
- Outputs: 2 x XLR (Direct), 1 x XLR (Line)
- Controls: LF Switch (Ext Sub, Norm, Deep), HF (Vocal Boost, Flat), Front LED (Power, Limit, Off), Mic/Line Switch, Gain A & B Knobs, Power Switch
- Dimensions: 17.7" × 11" × 10.6"
- Weight: 27 lbs.
Many solo performers and singer songwriters are happy with the QSC K8's sound quality, they are especially fond of how it reproduces vocal nuances. But it's not limited to just these solo performers, because it's been proven to work great in weddings, conferences, dance clubs and many more situations. The K8's sound dispersion also got multiple commendations, along with its extensive reach.
A common complaint with the K8 is that it does not have the same "wedge" profile as the bigger models, which means that it can't be positioned properly for floor monitoring use.
Overall, this is a reliable workhorse powered loudspeaker for those who prioritize clarity and nuance reproduction.
NB: This has been superseded by the second generation QSC K8.2.