Roland FA-08 88-key Keyboard Workstation
The FA-08 from Roland features over 2000 patches taken from its INTEGRA-7 sound module.
Its sequencer lets you export your recordings to a memory card as multi-track audio or MIDI to use with your DAW on your computer.
Additionally, it has a built-in sampler based on SP-404SX with 16 backlit pads for direct recording and playback.
- Keys: 88 Ivory Feel G keys
- Polyphony: 128
- Sound Engine(s): SuperNATURAL Acoustic, SuperNATURAL Synth, SuperNATURAL Drum Kit, PCM Synth, PCM Drum Kit
- Controllers: D-BEAM Controller, Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever, 2x Assignable Switch (S1/S2), 6 x Control Knob, Sample Pad, Tempo Knob
- Effects: 16 x Multi-Effects systems with 68 types (Vocoder can be used only on part 1, 16 x Part EQ systems, 6 x Drum Part COMP+EQ systems, 3 x Chorus, 6 x Reverb, 1 x Master Compressor (This can be changed to Insert 78 types of FX), 1 x Master EQ, 29 x Total Effects, 8 x Mic Input Reverb
- Audio Recording: Yes
- Audio Playback: Yes
- Sequencer: 16 MIDI Tracks
- Audio Inputs: 1/4" x Stereo phone type, 1 x 1/4" Line-in (Guitar)
- Audio Outputs: 1/4" x Line-out (L/MONO, R), 1 x 1/4" Stereo-out phone type
- MIDI: In/Out
- Other Connections: Foot Pedal Jacks: 1 x CTRL 1, 1 x CTRL 2, 1 x HOLD
- USB: USB 2.0
- Power Supply: AC Adaptor
- Dimensions: 55.75" x 5.62" x 14.44"
- Weight: 36 lbs.
Many users find this workstation to be very versatile, especially for stage use. The menu system and controls are laid out intuitively enough for many to mention this positively in reviews. In addition to that, its sequencer is very easy to use, especially with the assignable pads. Another common sentiment is that the keys have great response and feel. Regarding sound quality, many love its realistic piano sounds, as well as exceptional organ and synth sounds. Dan 'JD73' Goldman completed his Music Radar review by saying, "Above all, it's deep enough to keep even hardcore programmers occupied, yet it remains intuitive and sounds great."
Some users mention that its pads are not velocity sensitive and eventually compensate by adjusting the velocity levels.
At a fair price, this workstation is worth the money.
Although this was previously on our recommended list, there are now more highly rated options available which you can see in our guide to The Best Keyboard Workstations.