Roland R-05 Wave/MP3 Handheld Recorder (Discontinued)
- Inputs: 1 Line/Mic in 1/8" stereo jack (plug-in powered mic)
- Outputs: 1 Line out 1/8” stereo jack
- Built-in Mic: Unidirectional condenser
- Recording/Playback Format:
- Storage capacity: Comes with 2GB microSD; Expandable to 32 GB
- Power Requirements: 2 AA batteries (Alkaline dry batteries LR6 or Nickel Hydrogen), USB (Optional AC adapter)
- Battery Life: 16-30 hours
- Weight: 5 oz.
- Dimensions: 2.38"(W) x 1"(H) x 4.06(D)
The Roland R-05 has a sturdy build with a metal exterior.
It features onboard editing and built-in reverb.
Musicians find this handy when it comes to its practicing, because it has a backing track feature that allows you to change the tempo without changing pitch and it can also playback loops.
Optional accessories include a windscreen and a tripod mounting socket.
This recorder is an adequate choice if you want something with simple features and is easy to use for rehearsals.
One important thing to note is that it lacks a built-in speaker - you have to use it with headphones or use the line out to hear the playback.
The Roland R-05 was on our recommended list until August 2017 when we removed it due to a lack of availability at many major retailers.
For a list of our current recommendations see: The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders.