Roland R-05 Wave/MP3 Handheld Recorder (Discontinued)
The Roland R-05 has a sturdy build with a metal exterior.
It features onboard editing and built-in reverb. Musicians will find this handy when it comes to its practicing, because it has a backing track feature that allows you to change the tempo without changing pitch and it can also playback loops.
Optional accessories include a windscreen and a tripod mounting socket.
- Inputs: 1 Line/Mic in 1/8" stereo jack (plug-in powered mic)
- Outputs: 1 Line out 1/8” stereo jack
- Built-in Mic: Unidirectional condenser
- Recording/Playback Format:
- Storage capacity: Comes with 2GB microSD; Expandable to 32 GB
- Power Requirements: 2 AA batteries (Alkaline dry batteries LR6 or Nickel Hydrogen), USB (Optional AC adapter)
- Battery Life: 16-30 hours
- Weight: 5 oz.
- Dimensions: 2.38"(W) x 1"(H) x 4.06(D)
Most users say that it's simple level setting and interface makes it easy to operate. The sound quality is more than acceptable and that it can pick up a wide range of frequencies. It has a compact build and a small size that can easily fit in your pocket. Another feature which many find useful was the tempo of playback recordings can be adjusted. It's a decent recorder to use in practice sessions or live performances.
This recorder has some minor faults. It takes a long time to boot-up when turned on. It occasionally picks up unwanted background noises but this is an issue for all sensitive recorders. One important thing to note is that it lacks a built-in speaker - you have to use it with headphones or use the line out.
This recorder is an adequate choice if you want something with simple features and is easy to use for rehearsals. It was on our recommended list until August 2017 when we removed it due to a lack of availability at many major retailers. For a list of our current recommendations see: The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders - Handheld.