Samson SR850 Semi-Open-Back Studio Headphones
Gearank High Notes
- 2022.11: Highest Rated Studio Headphones Under $50
- 2022.01: Equal Highest Rated Studio Headphones Under $50
- LyxPro HAS-10
- LyxPro HAS-10
- 2018.07: Highest Rated Open-Back Headphones for Mixing Under $100
- 2018.07: Highest Rated Studio Headphones Under $50
- 2017.05: Highest Rated Studio Headphones Under $50
The SR850 appeared on our recommended list for Studio Headphones Under $50 when we published the first edition back in May 2017 and it's remained on that list ever since.
It was also on our now defunct list for Headphones for Mixing Under $100 from July 2018 until we stopped publishing that list in February 2020.
Neutrality is the name of the game when it comes to mixing. Many headphones at the Samson SR850's price point are anything but neutral.
The Samson SR850 is an affordable set of open back headphones designed for critical listening. It does so thanks to a large 50mm Neodymium driver for fast transients and a flat midrange.
The SR850's treble is slightly accentuated in a way that exposes overly sibilant mixes. This guides you to be more conservative with upper frequency excitement.
If you need a cheap pair of reference headphones to make critical mixing decisions, the Samson SR850 is a great choice that won't break the bank.
- Driver Diameter: 50mm
- Magnet Type: Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz – 30 kHz
- Sensitivity: 98 dB at 1 kHz
- Impedance: 32 Ohms
- Weight: 9.73 oz
- Cable and Connector: Straight cable, Gold-plated 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo mini connector with gold-plated 1/8” (3.5 mm) to 1/4” (6.3 mm) adapter