Sennheiser e965 Large Diaphragm Handheld Condenser Microphone w/ Switchable Polar Patterns
Gearank High Notes
- 2021.04: Equal Highest Rated Handheld Mic from $300 to $500
- Shure KSM8
Beyerdynamic M 88 TG
- Shure KSM8
The e 965 first appeared on our recommended list for Live Vocal Mics from March 2016 until August 2017.
It went back on the list in April 2021 where it remained until August 2022 when it was out-ranked by the Beyerdynamic M 88 TG.
The e965 is Sennheiser's top-tier handheld microphone for live singing - it has large dual diaphragms designed to get as close as possible to the sonic qualities of their studio mics.
It has a shock mounted capsule and built in pop and wind shield. It also has a low cut switch to reduce ambient and wind noise.
Both the polar pattern and 10 dB pad switches are located under the grille which you have to unscrew in order to access the switches - this makes it impossible for the singer to accidentally switch them on stage.
This is a good choice for talented lead singers, both male and female, but is probably over doing it for backing vocalists who don't need to cut through the mix as much.
- Type: Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Switchable cardioid/super-cardioid
- Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz
- Impedance: 50 Ohms with a min terminating impedance of 1000 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: 142 dB or 152 dB with switchable pad
- Applications: Live and recorded vocals
- Power Requirements: 48v phantom power
Sennheiser e965 Supercardioid Frequency Response Chart:
Sennheiser e965 Supercardioid Polar Pattern Chart:
Sennheiser e965 Cardioid Frequency Response Chart:
Sennheiser e965 Cardioid Polar Pattern Chart: