Serpent SB4001 Stereo Buss Compressor - 500 Series
Submitted by Raphael Pulgar on Nov. 10, 2022..
Warranty (2 Years)
Gearank High Notes
- 2020.12: Equal Highest Rated 500 Series Stereo Compressor
- API 529
WesAudio _DIONE NG500
- API 529
The Serpent SB4001 appeared on our recommended list for 500 Series Compressors in December 2020 where it remained until November 2022 when it was out-ranked by the WesAudio _DIONE.
|Sound On Sound||Matt Houghton||98/100|
*Displayed values are prior to the Gearank Algorithm's adjustments it makes when evaluating the source.
Inspired by the SSL G-Series bus compressor, the Serpent SB4001 is hailed as the company's evolution of SSL's design.
Featuring Quad VCAs, 12 attack options, 5 fixed release options and a VAR mode that modernizes the original by tailoring the release with potentiometer.
A "grind" switch enables some tube-style harmonic saturation to your track.
- Controls:Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, Blend, Gain, Filters, Variable Release
- Input/Output Impedance: Not specified by manufacturer
- Maximum Input Levels/Output Levels: +28dBu.
- Attack: 0.1, 0.3, 1, 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50 milliseconds
- Release: 0.3, 0.6 and 1.2 seconds, Variable release setting
- Ratio: 1.5:1, 2:1, 4:1, 6:1, 8:1 and 10:1
- Threshold: -20dB to +20dB