Slate Digital VMS ML-2 Small-Diaphragm Modeling Microphone
Gearank High Notes
- 2022.06: Highest Rated Small-Diaphragm Condenser Mic Under $200
- 2021.04: Highest Rated Small-Diaphragm Condenser Mic Under $200
- 2020.03: Equal Highest Rated Small-Diaphragm Condenser Mic Under $200
- Type: Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: Varies per model
- Impedance: Varies per model
- Max SPL: No data
- Applications: Recording vocals, percussion, drums and acoustic instruments
- Power Requirements: +48V
The VMS ML-2 first appeared on our recommended list for Small Diaphragm Condenser Mics Under $200 in March 2020 and it has been on that list ever since.
Slate Digital describes their VMS (Virtual Microphone System) as: "...a hybrid system that utilizes an extremely transparent condenser microphone, a sonically-neutral preamp, and state-of-the-art digital processing suite that recreates the tone of classic microphones and preamps."
While most of the specifications are still kept under wraps, the VMS line pushes forward with Slate Digital's second offering: The ML-2. The ML-2 is a transparent condenser microphone with a linear frequency response and serves as a platform for the modelling software.
While the design is a condenser mic, it has a switch to attenuate the signal for use with higher SPL situations like drums along with the software's dynamic mic models.
The ML-2 is a winner if you're looking for one mic to rule them all. The software is easy enough to use but may consume significantly more resources the more instances you have it on. The iLok functionality may be a turn off for some.
|YouTube||Full Circle Music||100/100|
|YouTube||In The Mix||90/100|