Sony PCM-D100 Portable High Resolution Audio Recorder - Handheld (Discontinued in North America)
The Sony PCM-D100 is a top-of-the-line handheld field recorder that captures hi-resolution audio in compressed and uncompressed formats.
With a pair of high-quality electret condenser microphones, the PCM-D100 captures audio with great accuracy.
- Inputs: 1 x 1/8", 1 x Toslink (S/PDIF)
- Outputs:1 x 1/8", 1 x Toslink (S/PDIF), 1 x 1/8"
- Built-in Mic: Adjustable XY Stereo
- Recording / Playback Format: linear PCM (192 / 176.4 / 96 / 88.2 / 48 / 44.1kHz), DSD (2.8224MHz), or MP3 (320/128 kbps)
- Storage capacity: 32gb Internal, Supports SD, SD HC, SD XC, Memory Stick Pro Duo, Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo
- Power Requirements: 4 x AA Batteries
- Battery Life: Up to 25 hrs
- Weight: 13.76oz.
- Dimensions: 2.84" (W) x 6.17" (H) x 1.29" (D)
Users note that the audio captured is linear and distortion-free no matter how loud the sound source is. The build quality is top-notch and users felt confident taking it on the road. For sound design and field recordings, many users felt that the PCM-D100 was the best they've ever tried.
The DSD file format this unit can uses offers stunning resolution but compatibility issues with the format troubled some users. USB 2.0 slows down file transfers and several users wished there were faster transfer options. A few feel the price is a bit too steep.
The Sony PCM-D100 is a clear winner for absolute audio quality if it's within your budget (and you will need a big one). If you're looking for economical solutions, there are better choices.
Unfortunately this is no longer available new in stores, but you can see excellent alternatives in our guide to The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders - Handheld.