Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster (HSS) - Rosewood Fingerboard - Solidbody Electric Guitar (Discontinued)
Not content to sit back at let others like Ibanez innovate upon the basic stratocaster design unanswered, Fender responded in the late 1980's with their own take on 'superstrats' with the HSS configured HM Strat (Heave Metal Strat). They dropped the concept for a while but later brought it back with HSS strats in the 1990s.
Back in 2016 the Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster (HSS) was the highest rated HSS strat under $200, however as of November 2017 that honor now belongs to the Yamaha Pacifica PAC112J (HSS).
- Body: Alder
- Finish: Lake Placid Blue / Polyurethane (pictured), also comes in Montego Black Metallic, Burgundy Mist and Olympic White
- Bridge: 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Synchronized Tremolo
- Pickups: Bridge - Standard Humbucking, Middle & Neck - Standard Single-Coil Strat
- Neck: Maple
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 21
- Nut Width: 1.61" (40.9 mm)
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
- Pickup Selector: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
This guitar has high satisfaction levels with both beginners and even experienced guitarists. There were several people who said it holds its tune well, one even went as far as to say better than other entry level guitars. The Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster HSS also gets a lot of thumbs of for its finish. Longevity is also reportedly high, with some owners reporting years of satisfied use.
Some string action related issues are reported, including fret buzz. There are also a few who are not too happy with the tuners, a common issue found in guitars in this price range.
This was one of the most popular HSS strats styled guitars under $200, but a price increase in 2020 meant that it had to come off our recommended list of The Highest Rated Electric Guitars Under $200.
Here is Brice Delage demonstrating a range of tones from the Squier Affinity Stratocaster HSS: