Steinberg UR44 6-Channel USB Audio Interface - 6 Analog Inputs (Discontinued)
Gearank High Notes
- 2019.12: Equal Highest Rated USB Audio Interface With 6 Analog Inputs
- 2019.01: Highest Rated USB Audio Interface With 6 Analog Inputs
- 2017.12: Highest Rated USB Audio Interface With 6 Analog Inputs
- 2016.11: Highest Rated USB Audio Interface With 6 Analog Inputs
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192kHz
- Simultaneous I/O: 6 x 4
- Inputs: 4 x XLR/TRS Combo, 2 x 1/4"
- Outputs: 6 x 1/4" 2 x XLR, 1 x 1/4" Headphones
- Computer Connectivity: USB 2.0, iOS Compliant
- MIDI: In/Out
- 4 Class A D-PRE preamps
- Phantom Power: +48V
- Onboard DSP with Built-in Effects
- Zero latency monitoring
- Bundled Software: Cubase AI, Steinberg FX Suite VST 3 Plugins
Drawing from their mother company's (Yamaha) hardware manufacturing expertise, Steinberg's audio interfaces have become quite the market favorite.
The UR44 is their representative in the 6-Channel category, featuring 4 class A D-Pre preamps, iOS compatibility, and built-in Digital Sound Processing capabilities.
This makes the UR44 a versatile interface that can handle both home and mobile recordings.
As expected, this interface integrates well with Steinberg software, but it can also be used with other DAWs.
A thoughtful touch was the inclusion of Yamaha's REV-X reverb, used via its DSP effects, and includes room, hall and plate emulations.
If you're using Steinberg's Cubase then you should take advantage of the extra mileage that you can get out of the UR44, however if you're using Pro Tools then you might want to do some extra research to ensure it will work with your setup because some Pro Tools users have had problems.
This first appeared on our recommended list for Audio Interfaces With 6 Analog Inputs back when we first published it in November 2016 where it ranked #1 in that category.
No other interface out ranked it in that category until October 2020 when it was surpassed by the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
Although it remained on our recommended list after that, we had to remove it in 2022 due to it no longer being available.
|Sound On Sound||Barry Watson||96/100||Music Radar||Jon Musgrave||90/100|