Studiologic SL88 Studio 88 Key MIDI Keyboard Controller
The SL88 Studio earned a place on our recommended list for 88 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards in October 2018 where it remained until September 2022 when it had been out-ranked by other keyboards.
Having 'Studio' in the name is a bit of a misnomer because this is widely used as a gigging keyboard and doesn't come with transport controls or all the pads and buttons usually associated with DAW controllers.
Unlike the heavier (and more expensive) SL88 Grand, Studiologic have designed the SL88 Studio to be lighter and more portable for easier use gigging as well as in the studio and this has helped it to win over many a gigging keyboardist looking for hammer action keys.
This has been achieved without sacrificing ruggedness as it has a metal case and special impact resistant synthetic end-caps to help protect it when transporting and setting up on stage.
The Fatar Keybed with hammer action keys is a feature usually seen in higher end Electric Pianos and controllers.
- Keys: TP/100LR Fatar keybed with 88 weighted hammer action keys with velocity and aftertouch. Programmable sensitivity: Soft, Medium, Hard, Fixed. 6 Editable user velocity curves with SL Editor.
- Zones: Can send on up to 4 zones simultaneously.
- Pads: None.
- Controls: 3 Programmable joysticks, rotating encoder with navigation controls and 3 function buttons. 2 x 1/4" switch + 1 x 1/4" continuous + 1 x 1/4" universal.
- Automap: No.
- Power: 9V DC power adapter which works with 100-240V mains power.
- Connectivity: 2 x 5-Pin MIDI out and USB MIDI (Type-A) + 1 x 5-Pin MIDI In.
- Dimensions: 41" (L) x 12.2" (D) x 4.9" (H).
- Weight: 25.3 Lbs.
- Bundled Software: Only the Mac and Windows compatible SL Editor as a free download.
- Compatibility: The exact OS versions aren't specified for Mac and Windows.
Here is an overview of the controller: