TASCAM DR-05X Stereo Handheld Recorder
The DR-05X takes the place of the discontinued DR-05.
The DR-05X has improvements in software, hardware and build quality over its predecessor with better storage options, a newly designed microphone and better battery life.
- Inputs: 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack - Unbalanced, Plug-in Power
- Outputs: 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack (Unbalanced)
- Built-in Mic: Dual Omnidirectional Stereo
- Recording / Playback Format: WAV,MP3
- Storage capacity:microSD card (64MB to 3GB), microSDHC card (4GB to 32GB), microSDXC card (up to 128GB)
- Power Requirements: 2 AA Batteries, USB bus power, AC 100 to 240V (optional AC Adapter)
- Battery Life: approx. 17.5 hours
- Weight: 4.1 oz.
- Dimensions: 2.4" (W) × 5.55" (H) × 1.02" (D)
Users report excellent audio quality with great stereo imaging. Reviewers noted a great binaural effect when using headphones. Many users who engage in sound design, field recording, and ambient recording use the DR-05X exclusively though the unit is also capable of handling high SPL sources like concerts.
Omnidirectional mics pick up a lot of sound and may not be good in noisy environments when you're looking to record a specific sound source. Reports also exist of radio interference; a problem carried over from the previous iteration.
For general recording of sounds in a room or an environment, the Tascam DR-05X is an affordable piece of gear that offers good sound quality for the price. If you're looking to record specific sound sources while excluding background noise then you need to look for a different portable audio recorder with a directional mic instead.
As of November 2021 this is on our recommended list in our guide to The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders.