TASCAM DR-100MKIII Stereo Portable Handheld Recorder (Discontinued in America)
The DR-100MKIII is TASCAM's flagship handheld recorder.
Featuring dual-mono AKM "Velvet Sound" AK4558 for up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, 109dB signal-to-noise ratio, and built-in phantom power for condenser microphones, the DR-100MKIII is feature-rich as it is convenient and always ready when you are.
- Inputs: 2 x XLR-1/4" combo, 1 x 1/8" TRS (stereo in), 1 x 1/8" (remote), 1 x 1/8" (S/PDIF) Digital
- Outputs: 1 x 1/8" TRS, 1 x 1/8" Headphones
- Built-in Mic: 2 x cardioid/omni
- Recording / Playback Format: linear PCM Up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Storage capacity: SD (up to 2GB), SDHC (up to 32GB), SDXC (up to 128GB)
- Power Requirements: 2 x AA batteries / Li-ion battery (BP-L2) / PS-P520 AC adapter (sold separately)
- Battery Life: 5 hours (Li-ion battery), 2 hours 45 min (Alkaline), 4 hours (Ni-MH)
- Weight: 0.64 lbs.
- Dimensions: 3.15" (W) x 6.02" (H) x 1.37" (D)
Users applaud it for being a solidly-built recorder with great long-term durability even in daily use. Mics and preamp were reported to have great clear quality and low noise. The preamp itself was capable of driving most condenser mics. Recording sound sources with lots of low frequencies translated well on the recorder. Being able to choose battery sources was also seen as a plus for people who need to record several hours' worth of audio.
Microphones are not protected from external hits. Volume control was said to be not precise enough for small adjustments. One user noted that you might need a separate pop filter for windy situations.
If you're looking for a solidly engineered portable recorder that can also handle studio mics, the DR-100MKIII is a great pick.
Unfortunately this is no longer available new in stores, but you can see excellent alternatives in our guide to The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders - Handheld.