Vox VX50KB 50W Keyboard Amp
Gearank High Notes
- November 2018: Equal Highest Rated Keyboard Amp Between $200 and $300
The Vox VX50KB breaks with keyboard amp tradition and instead of trying to faithfully reproduce the input signal, it actually adds warmth with it's use of old vacuum tube technology which is usually found mostly on guitar amps these days.
It provides independent volume control over all 3 channels, however the 3-band EQ applies to the master output so you can't EQ channels independently.
- Output Power: 50W RMS.
- Number of Channels: 3.
- Inputs: 2 x 1/4" unbalanced + 1 x 1/4" switchable between mic and line and 1 x 1/8" TRS (aux in).
- Outputs: 1 x 1/4" (line out) and 1 x 1/8" (headphones).
- Speakers: Coaxial 8" woofer + Tweeter.
- Tone Control: Bass ±10dB@100Hz, Middle ±10dB@700Hz, Treble ±10dB@10kHz.
- Frequency Response: Not Specified.
- Size: 13.94" × 8.19" × 12.32".
- Weight: 9.04 lbs.
- Manufacturer Warranty: Not Specified.
Despite its unconventional approach, many of the user reviews are quite positive with many of them praising the quality of the sound. Its low weight and compact size generated many positive comments from people who were quite pleased with the volume they were able to get from the amp.
There were a couple of users who complained about the sound at low volumes including one who said it has a bit of hiss. There were also a couple of users who seem to have been unhappily surprised by the fact that a tube amp colors the tone.
If you'd like to try something different to a standard solid state keyboard amp, then give the Vox VX50KB a try, but if you're looking for a more traditionally transparent amp then take a look at our recommendations in our guide to The Best Keyboard Amps.