Zoom H1 Handy Recorder - Handheld (Discontinued)
NB: Zoom has discontinued this recorder and superseded it with the Zoom H1n.
Zoom electronics have been producing good quality products for years and their entry-level H1 recorder was one of the most popular recorders on the market rivaling high-end digital recorders in terms of sound quality given its affordable price.
- Inputs: 1 Line/Mic in 1/8" stereo jack (Plug-in power supported)
- Outputs: 1 Line/Headphone out 1/8" stereo jack
- Built-in Mic: Unidirectional condenser
- Recording/Playback Format: WAV, MP3
- Storage capacity: Comes with 2GB microSD; Expandable to 32GB
- Power Requirements: 1 AA battery (Alkaline or Ni-MH), USB (Optional AC Adapter)
- Battery Life: 9.5 to 10 hours
- Weight: 2.11oz. (without batteries)
- Dimensions: 1.73"(W) x 5.35"(H) x 1.22"(D)
Most users praise this digital recorder for its sound quality and affordable price. Its simplicity and ease of use appeals to many users. The switches and buttons are easy to understand and straightforward to use. This recorder's microphone is able to capture sounds at a distance without sacrificing sound quality. It’s also a very lightweight unit that’s easy to carry around and fits nicely in your pocket.
A number of users who have provided reviews suggest the build of this recorder feels cheap but that's not surprising given that this is a budget recorder. Some people have experienced handling noise so you need to be careful when recording. Some also said the battery compartment was a bit loose and the microSDHC slot should be handled carefully or it could break off.
This recorder is popular with people who look for the basic features needed for good quality sound recordings on a budget. It has been superseded by the Zoom H1n which you can see along with our other recommendations for The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders - Handheld.