Zoom H1n Handy Recorder - Handheld
The H1n is a revamped version of the Zoom H1.
It offers series of new features including its 1.25" monochromatic display with a clean layout and backlight that's visible in dark or direct light, and a redesigned one touch button for recording.
Additionally, it has a tone generator feature that syncs up audio with video, great for filmmaking with DSLR and video cameras.
- Inputs: 1 x 1/8" stereo phone jack
- Outputs: 1 x 1/8" stereo phone jack(combined line/headphones)
- Built-in Mic: Unidirectional condenser, 90° XY stereo format
- Recording/Playback Format: WAV: 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96 kHz/24-bit
- Simultaneous Recording/Playback
- Storage capacity: SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB
- Power Requirements: 2 AAA batteries (alkaline, nickel-metal hydride rechargeable, or lithium), AC adapter (ZOOM AD-17): DC 5V/1A, USB bus power
- Battery Life: Approximately 10 hours
- Weight: 2.08 oz.
- Dimensions: 1.9 in (W) x 1.2 in (H) x 5.4 in (D)
There were a number of improvements from the original H1 recorder. For its price, it provided exceptional clear sound quality, even picking up low volumes without any concerns of distortion. A lot of reviewers found it simple to operate with its intuitive and straightforward controls, in which they were able to easily record by just a press of a button. They also found its lock key on the side convenient to prevent pressing buttons by accident.
Some reviewers were concerned with its plastic construction not being sturdy enough, although there were no reports of damages. This is generally expected at a given price range. Some reported that it drained batteries too much on standby.
This is a popular no-fuss recorder and it was previously on our recommended list but we are now recommending the TASCAM DR-05X which sells at the same price and now has higher ratings than the Zoom H1n. We are also recommending more advanced recorders in our guide to The Best Portable Digital Audio Recorders - Handheld.