Zoom R8 8-Track Multitrack Digital Recorder - DAW Controller - Audio Interface
The R8 appeared on our recommended list for Digital Multitrack Recorders from our first edition in February 2016 until August 2020 when it was removed due to being out-ranked by the TASCAM DP-008EX and Zoom LiveTrak L-8.
Although the Zoom R8 is used by some filmmakers, it was designed primarily with musicians in mind because it works as a multitrack recorder, USB audio interface, sampler and a control surface for DAWs.
It comes bundled with Cubase LE so it provides both hardware and software recording and mixing options making it well suited to musicians who are just starting in multitrack recording and music production.
It has a built-in stereo condenser mic which makes it well suited to portable recording or quickly capturing ideas without having to set up external microphones. It lets you program punch in/out points and it also has a control input allowing you to use a footswitch (not included) for this as well as using it to start, stop, rewind, and patch up/down.
The Zoom R8 receives the most number of positive comments for versatility for an 8 track recorder - mainly because it's portable, records well, and is a respectable USB audio interface.
- Simultaneous recording tracks: 2
- Tracks playback/mix simultaneously: 8
- Virtual tracks: Unlimited (actually limited by storage space)
- Inputs: 2 x Balanced XLR/TRS Combo Inputs
- Outputs: 2 x 1/4" main out, Stereo 1/4" Headphone Jack + USB
- Sample rate: 44.1/48kHz for recording, up to 96kHz when used as a USB audio interface
- Bit rate: 16/24-bit
- On-board effects: 150+ DSP effects which include amp modeling and mastering effects
- Effects send: Internal
- USB audio interface: 2 channels
- Storage medium: SD/SDHC card - up to 32GB
- Export tracks to computer: Yes