Dean ML XM (HH) 6 String Electric Guitar (Discontinued)
- Beginner Electric Guitars
- Electric Guitars Under $200
- Electric Guitars Under $500
- Electric Travel Guitars
- DIY Electric Guitar Kits
- All-Time Best Electric Guitars
Dean Guitars was founded by 19 year old musician Dean Zelinsky in 1976 and right from the beginning they were making guitars for heavey metal and began making the ML series in 1977.
Dean rose to prominence when Dimebag Darrell (a founding member of Pantera) began playing the ML and many signature models now carry Dimebag Darrell's name.
The Dean ML XM is their current entry-level version.
- Body: Paulownia
- Finish: Trans Black (pictured), also comes in Natural
- Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
- Pickups: 2 x DMT Design
- Neck: Maple
- Scale Length: 24 3/4" (629mm)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" (356mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Nut Width: 1 11/16" (43mm)
- Controls: 1 x Volume, 1 x Tone
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle
When I was doing the research for this guide I was surprised that quite a number of experienced guitarists were saying how much they liked this guitar, with all the usual caveats about it being an entry-level model. Beginners and experienced players like its tone and playability.
Apart from a few complaints about damages/shipping issues there were few consistent negatives reported although a few people did say the strings were too high above the fingerboard for their liking.
If metal is your thing and you want something that stands out from the crowd, then this is definitely one to consider.
Here is Dimebag Darrell demonstrating one of his Dean guitars::