Mackie Thump15A Powered PA Speaker 15" - 1300W (Discontinued)
Gearank High Notes
This powered speaker has a 1000W Class D amplifier for the 15" woofer, and 300W Class AB for the 1.4" titanium dome compression tweeter, giving it a total of 1,300 Watts of peak power.
It features "Wide-Z" technology that allows it to handle different types of sound sources directly, including mics, line-level signals and instruments with high impedance such as guitar. The built-in 2-channel mixer has independent Vita preamps.
It's also worth mentioning that it has 4 application-specific speaker modes: music, live, monitor and sub.
Where it really shines is for DJ sets and forms of electronic music that require a solid bottom end and the 15" speaker does move a lot of air in the bass range, so much so that I've noticed other audio engineers saying that the bass response is a bit too much, but that's not been my experience. If you do find the bottom end is too strong, switch the speaker mode on the back to "LIVE" mode and that reduces the 'thump' of the low end.
It does have a monitor mode, but that still leaves in a fair amount of bottom end however it does pull 2 kHz a bit to reduce the risk of feedback on stage.
The Mackie Thump 15A is a great pick for those looking for a powered speaker with enhanced bass. Get it if you want a big sound without needing subwoofers.
- LF Driver: 15" with Ferrite Magnet
- HF Driver: 1.4" Compression Driver
- Amplifier: Class D (LF), Class AB (HF)
- Output Power Peak: 1300W (1000W HF + 300W HF)
- Frequency Response: 32Hz-23kHz (-10dB)
- Maximum Peak SPL: 127 dB SPL @ 1m
- Crossover Frequency: 24 dB/octave @ 2kHz
- Enclosure: Polypropylene
- Mounting: Pole, Floor
- Inputs: 2 x XLR-1/4" Combo (Mic/Line/Hi-Z)
- Outputs: 1 x XLR (Mix Out)
- Controls: 2 x Gain, Main, Speaker Mode
- Dimensions: 27" x 17.4" x 14"
- Weight: 34.8 lbs.
- Look elsewhere if you don't want a lot of bottom-end; particularly if you're looking for a mid-range focused stage monitor
- Despite the strong bottom end it works well in most genres
- Also sounds good as an instrument amp which is facilitated by both Line Level & Hi-Z inputs
- Best option in this price bracket for producing strong bottom end without a sub