Audient ASP800 Mic Preamp
Audient is relatively new to the recording gear market, but they have been getting much attention, especially in the mid-tier price range.
The ASP800 showcases what the company is all about, providing modern functionality and quality at a reasonable price point.
This rack mountable unit has 8 channels, two of which have MOSFET and Magnetic drive controls, interesting features that let you go from transparent to saturated coloration as you please.
- Channels: 8
- Mic Preamps: 2 Preamps with HMX Iron MOSFET Drive, 6 Solidstate Preamps
- Sample Rate: Switchable (44.1/48/88.2/96 kH), 24-bit
- Input Connectors: 8 x XLR/TRS Combo, 2 x 1/4" (Hi-Z)
- Output Connectors: 1 x DB-25, 2 x ADAT (Channels 1-4 and 5-8)
- Controls: Gain, Pad, Phantom Power, 2 x Retro Channels with MOSFET and Magnetic Drive Controls
- Dimensions: 1.75" x 11.27" x 19"
- Weight: 9.92 lbs.
Reviews were mostly positive, pointing to the Audient ASP800 sound quality and versatility as its main selling points. Many expressed satisfaction with its transparent operation, while others loved the coloration capabilities of its first two vintage style channels, Many of the reviewers implemented the unit for drum mics, but there were also others who found it to work well with other applications, including guitars, amps, and vocals.
As expected, there were a few that did not like the coloration of the first two channels. There were also a few who noticed imperfections in terms of the unit's build quality.
We were recommending the Audient ASP800 until we did a thorough review of mic pres in February 2018. At this time we found there were more highly rated options available which we now recommend instead. You can see those in our guide to The Best Microphone Preamps.