Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Gearank High Notes
Boss are well known for building robust effects pedals, and that applies to the Boss TU-3, which is a favorite of many guitarists and bassists.
Not only does the TU-3 have guitar, bass and chromatic tuning modes, it can also display notes for 7 string guitars and 6 string basses.
Guitar mode also supports alternative drop tunings.
- Tuning Accuracy: ±1 cent
- Tuning Range: C0 (16.35Hz)–C8 (4186Hz)
- Reference Pitch: A4=436 ti 445 Hz (1 Hz step)
- Tuning Modes: Chromatic and Guitar/Bass mode (tune by string number, with support for 7-string guitars and 6-string basses)
- Display: 21-segment LED meter with brightness control
- Bypass: Buffered
- Power Supply: DC 9 V: Dry battery 6F22 (9 V) type (carbon), Dry battery 6LR61 (9 V) type (alkaline), AC Adaptor (PSA series: optional) - can supply power for up to 7 Boss pedals
- Battery Life: Not specified
- Dimensions: 2-7/8" (73 mm) x 5-1/8" (129 mm) x 2-3/8" (59 mm)
- Weight: 14 oz (390 g)
Although I didn't do a comprehensive count, I did notice the word "love" in more than a dozen positive customer reviews. Those who had upgraded from the earlier TU-2 were impressed by the increased level of accuracy of the TU-3. Many guitarists who had used it at outdoor venues praised the brightness of the display. Positive sentiment was evident from both electric and acoustic-electric players. The quality of the build also came in for much praise from those who had been using it for a long time.
There were few consistently reported negatives. A couple of people complained about the price and one person even suggested the power adapter should be included in the price - but this is rarely the case with guitar pedals in general.
Boss says the TU-2 was the highest selling pedal tuner in its day and the upgraded TU-3 is doing just as well now.
Although this was previously on our recommended list, and despite its high ratings, there are now more highly rated options available which you can see in our guide to The Best Guitar Tuners.