Kurzweil PC3K6 61-key Synthesizer Workstation (Discontinued)
The PC3K6 comes with Kurzweil's Dynamic V.A.S.T. synthesis engine, that contains extensive libraries of existing K Series samples. Aside from that, it is also flexible when it comes to loading compatible sound files since it's capable of loading .KRZ/25/26 sample files, WAVE and AIFF files.
Kurzweil has included USB Host and Device ports for saving user programs, setups and songs to a USB thumb-drive or directly to a computer, as well as 128 MB worth of sample memory for users to store their samples even after the unit is turned off.
- Keys: 61 velocity and aftertouch sensitive keys
- Sound Engine(s): Dynamic VAST, VA1
- Controllers: Pitch wheel, modulation wheel, 9 x front panel sliders/drawbar controllers, 10 x front panel switches (momentary or toggle, software selectable), 3 x switch pedal input, 2 x continuous control pedal inputs, mono pressure, Super Ribbon input, breath controller input.
- Effects: 16 x insert effects distributed over 11 busses, 2 x auxiliary sends, 2 x Master Effects (Over 500 effects: reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, phaser, EQs, distortions, Leslie simulators, compressors)
- Audio Recording:Not Specified
- Audio Playback:Not Specified
- Sequencer: Unlimited tracks (on import)
- Audio Inputs: Not Specified
- Audio Outputs: 4 x 1/4" Line-in. 1 x 1/8" Line-in (Headphones)
- MIDI: In/Out/Thru
- Other Connections: 3 x Switch Pedals, 2 x CC Pedals, 1 x Super Ribbon Pedal, 1 x Breath Pedal Input
- USB: MIDI over USB
- Power Supply:AC power supply 120/240V
- Dimensions: 39.37" x 4.84" x 13.98"
- Weight: 30.86 lbs.
This workstation exceeded reviewers' expectations, especially when it comes to its sound engines and functionality. Many of them mentioned its on-board effects engine and virtual analog engine provide exceptional quality sounds. Additionally, presets such as electric pianos and orchestral sound quite authentic. Aside from that, it's sequencing capabilities are also quite intuitive and it had flexible layering and splitting functions. Regarding its construction, it is overall very sturdy and quite durable.
Some reviewers mentioned that the size of the screen display needs more improvement. Additionally, the hammond organ sounds fair enough but not so realistic, which isn't a problem if you opt out of using hammond organ presets.
This is a great choice if you are looking for a workstation with excellent analog modelling capabilities.
NB: There are now more highly rated options available which you will find in our guide to The Best Keyboard Workstations.