Roland JUNO-DS88 Digital Synthesizer
It may seem unusual to some to describe an 88-key keyboard as portable, but the Roland Juno-DS88 is exactly that. It is a reasonably portable keyboard that can run on batteries, while having a wide keybed with 88 velocity sensitive and hammer action keys.
Like its smaller 61-key sibling, this synth relies on digital processing, which allows for a wide variety of sound options and extensive control over them.
In addition to sound synthesis, it can play samples via its 88 keys, or through its 8 pads. It also lets you plug-in a mic and apply vocoder, reverb and auto pitch effects.
To it wrap all up, Roland equipped this synth with an 8-track pattern sequencer and built-in recording functionality.
- Polyphony: Polyphonic
- Keys: 88 Weighted-action, Roland Ivory Feel-G Keyboard
- Oscillator: Digital
- Filter: Digital
- Envelope: Digital
- LFO: Digital
- Effects: 3x Mulit-effects, 3 x Chorus, 5 x Reverbs, 8 x Mic Reverbs and Vocoder
- Additional Controllers: Pitchbend/Modulation Lever
- Step Sequencer: 8-track
- Audio Input: 1 x 1/4" (mic), 1 x 1/8" (aux)
- Audio Ouput: 2 x 1/4" (L/R), 1 x 1/4" (headphones)
- Other Connectivity: USB (Type A), USB (Type B)
- Power: DC 9V adapter, 8 x AA batteries
- Dimensions: 5.68" x 55.75" x 13.43"
- Weight: 35 lbs.
Playability is the DS88's best trait, and this is reflected in many reviews where users are blown away by its longer 88-key configuration, and hammer action keys. Sound quality is also often commended, with many describing it's tone as detailed and high fidelity.
This is obviously not for analog synth fans, and it can be a bit too bulky for some keyboardists.
If you're looking for an 88-key synth with impressive bells and whistles, be sure to check out the Roland Juno-DS88.