Zoom R16 Multitrack 16-Track Digital Recorder - DAW Controller - Audio Interface (Discontinued)
Gearank High Notes
- 2019.08: Highest Rated 14 to 16 Track Digital Recorder
- 2018.06: Highest Rated 14 to 16 Track Digital Recorder
- 2017.05: Highest Rated 16 Track Digital Recorder
- 2016.02: Highest Rated 16 Track Digital Recorder
The R16 appeared on our recommended list for Digital Multitrack Recorders from our first edition in February 2016 until August 2021 when it was removed due to being out-ranked by the TASCAM Model 16.
The Zoom R16 allows you to record 8 tracks simultaneously for a total of 16 total tracks.
All 8 inputs can take microphones or line-level inputs. Phantom power is only available on two tracks and one track can take a Hi-Z instrument (guitar) level input.
You can also use it as an 8 channel USB audio interface and it comes bundled with Cubase LE and you can transfer any tracks you've recorded directly on the Zoom R16 to your computer via the USB connection.
It has a built-in stereo condenser mic making it easy to use as a portable recorder.
It comes with an A/C adapter but can also be USB Bus-powered or you can use 6 AA batteries.
- Simultaneous recording tracks: 8
- Tracks playback/mix simultaneously: 16
- Virtual tracks: Unlimited (actually limited by storage space)
- Inputs: 8 x XLR and 1/4" TRS Combo with Hi-Z input for guitar - Phantom power on 2 channels
- Outputs: 2 x 1/4" + USB
- Sample rate: 44.1kHz
- Bit rate: 24-bit
- On-board effects: 135 types including amp and cab simulations and mastering
- Effects send: Internal
- USB audio interface: 2 channels
- Storage medium: SD/SDHC card - up to 32GB
- Export tracks to computer: Yes