Korg microKEY2 37 Mini-Key MIDI Controller
Korg's microKEY2 is the second generation controller based on the original microKEY.
Similar features retained from the first generation are its compact size, simple design, and basic controls, while new features added to this version include iOS support via Apple Camera Connection kit (sold separately) and an assignable damper pedal jack.
- Keys: 37 Natural Touch keys
- Pads: None
- Octaves: -4 to +4
- Bundled Software: ARP ODYSSEY duophonic synthesizer, the MS-20 analog monophonic synthesizer, the Polysix polyphonic synthesizer, the all-embracing Mono/Poly analog synthesizer, the M1 which was the original music workstation, the Wavestation digital synthesizer, and the MDE-X effect plug-in.
- Power: USB bus power
- Connectivity: 1 x Assignable switch jack, 1 x USB Type B
- Control Hardware Directly: No
- Compatibility: Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion or later; Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or Later (32bit/64bit); iOS8 or later
- Dimensions: 22.24" x 5.47" x 2.13"
- Weight: 2.21 lbs.
There are minimal reports of connectivity issues, a testament to this controller's compatibility with the many Operating System versions that we have today. Most users mention that it is effortless to set up and that it is easily recognized by the DAWs their using. Even with its smaller size keys, many find that they it is not hard to avoid hitting other keys by accident. Other controls, including its modulation and pitch wheel, are also very smooth and responsive, while the octave buttons provided a solid feel.
There are a few who are not satisfied with the resistance of the keys, due to their lightweight design but this is more of a preference. Some mention that it didn't have much variation when it comes to velocity response, so they end up adjusting the velocity values in their DAW.
This is a great controller if you want a minimal and basic set up to use for composing at a fair price. If you are interested in looking at alternatives all priced under $100 then please read our guide to The Best Cheap MIDI Keyboards.