Doepfer LMK2+ 88-Key Hammer Action MIDI Keyboard Controller
Don't be too surprised if you haven't heard much about Doepfer before because they only recently started to be sold by major American retailers, but they are a highly respected brand from Germany.
The LMK2+ is Doepfer's 'low cost' option designed to be reasonably simple yet does what it does very well - it provides a robust portable instrument that has a surprisingly realistic feel according to many pianists who have played it.
It has 8 selectable velocity curves and it lets you set the velocity curves for the black and white keys separately.
- Keys: 88 graded hammer-action Fatar T88P/40GH keybed with velocity and monophonic channel aftertouch.
- Zones: 4 overlapping assignable zones - Aftertouch, Wheels, external Footswitches and Pedal can be turned on/off for each zone
- Pads: No.
- Controls: Pitchbend wheel, Assignable wheel.
- Automap: No.
- Power: 3-pin XLR AC power adapter included and USB bus power the USB host has to be able to supply 200mA).
- Connectivity: 5-Pin MIDI out and USB 2.0 MIDI (both send the same data). It also has a 1/4" jack for volume/sweep and a 1/4" jack for sustain/sostenuto..
- Dimensions: 58.27" (L) x 11.02" (W) x 4.72" (H).
- Weight: 52.9 lbs. (includes the flight case)
- Bundled Software: No.
- Compatibility: N/A.
By far the most praised feature is the keybed with many pianists talking about being very impressed with the action and sensitivity. The fact that you can set the velocity curves separately for the black and white keys was also appreciated. The quality of the flight case also generated many positive comments.
A small number of users complained about the lack of a proper screen for editing which is a fair complaint given that better screens have been available for more than a couple of decades.
This video demonstrates the old version which didn't have USB