Korg nanoKEY2 25-key USB MIDI Controller Keyboard
The nanoKEY2 is highly praised as being great value for the price, particularly by those musicians who use it as a portable controller with a laptop or tablet.
iPad uses love the fact that they just plug it into their CCK and don't have to worry about external power, although this could be subject to change (see compatibility below).
- Keys: 25 with velocity.
- Pads: none.
- Octaves: 9 by using the Octave Up and Octave Down butons.
- Bundled Software: No special software, just control editing and updating applications for Mac & Windows.
- Power: USB powered. Korg suggest that if you use more than 1 nanoKEY2 at a time, or if you have power consumption problems then you should use a powered USB hub.
- Connectivity: mini-USB.
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.4 or later + Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP. It is also iOS compatible but you'll need a CCK. Korq note that it might not be compatible with future versions of the iPad or iOS that haven't been released yet.
- Dimensions: 14.6" x 3.7" x 1.6"
- Weight 0.54 lbs
The negative reviews it received were mainly related to the cheap feel of the plastic construction and the sometimes variable and inconsistent velocity response. Some iPad users have complained about the lack of an iOS editor.
The overall vibe from online reviewers is that it's perfectly suitable as a cheap and lightweight controller, but you wouldn't use it as you primary controller in a professional setting.
Although it's not currently on our recommended list of 25 key controllers, it was up until June 2017 and is still a worthy piece of gear.
If you'd like to see our current recommendations, check out:The Best 25 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards.
Here is another MetaReview from Denise Azucena
The nanoKEY2 is a small, compact, and slim MIDI controller built for musicians on the go. It features conveniently spaced keys with a non-conventional design and are velocity sensitive. It also has essential MIDI controls such as transpose/octave buttons, a pitch bend button, a modulation button and a sustain button for a more expressive performance.
- Keys: 25 velocity sensitive keys
- Pads: None
- Arpeggiator: No
- Octaves: -4 to +4
- Bundled Software: KORG Software Bundle
- Power: USB bus power: less than 100 mA
- Connectivity: mini-USB
- Control Hardware Directly: No
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.4 or later; Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32bit), Vista SP2 (32bit, 64bit), 7 (32bit, 64bit)
- Dimensions: 12.80" x 3.27" x 0.65"
- Weight: 0.54 lbs.
For its price, many users were satisfied with the value they were getting. Simple to figure out and easy to use were some factors mentioned about this controller. Many of these users were delighted that it's light-weight and portable enough to fit one's bag. Its octave buttons were also proven useful when it comes to accessing a full range of notes. It also directly connects to different computer operating systems and was recognized by different DAWs without any problems.
Since the keys are designed similarly to laptop keyboard-style keys, a few users found it to be a bit awkward and difficult to enter intricate melodic lines. Nevertheless, the keys have a great velocity response.
This is an affordable and travel-friendly controller that you can bring on the road. If you'd like to see our current recommendations, check out:The Best 25 Key MIDI Controller Keyboards.