Yamaha DXR8 Powered PA Speaker 8" - 1100W (Discontinued)
With its 700W RMS (1100W Peak) amplifier, the Yamaha DXR8 can get really loud for its size.
But it's not just about being loud, because the extra headroom allows for better reproduction of audio nuances and dynamics.
What makes it even more appealing is how relatively light it is for what it can do, thanks to its lightweight Class D amplifier and ABS thermoplastic enclosure.
This active speaker is equipped with an 8" woofer and a 1.4" tweeter, and features Yamaha's FIR-X tuning technology, which optimizes the combination of the two drivers.
Finally, since it has a built-in mixer with dedicated level knobs for each of its three inputs, the Yamaha DXR8 can double as a small portable PA system if the need arises.
- LF Driver: 8" Cone
- HF Driver: 1.4"
- Amplifier: Bi-amplified Class D
- Output Power Peak: 1100W (950W LF, 150W HF)
- Output Power RMS: : 700W (600W LF, 100W HF)
- Frequency Response: 57Hz - 20kHz (-10dB)
- Maximum Peak SPL: 129dB
- Crossover Frequency: FIR-X Tuning (Linear Phase FIR filter)
- Enclosure: ABS Thermoplastic
- Mounting: Pole, Fly
- Inputs: 2 x XLR, 2 x 1/4", 2 x RCA
- Outputs: 1 x XLR
- Controls: Power Button, 3 x Level Knobs, Mic/Line Switch, D-Contour (FOH, Off, Monitor), HPF Switch (120Hz, 100Hz, Off), Mono/Stereo Switch, Front LED Switch
- Dimensions: 11" x 18" x 11"
- Weight: 29.8 lbs.
The Yamaha DXR8 is loved by many because of its good balance of sound quality and portability. Many are surprised at how loud it can be, while retaining the characteristic crisp sound provided for by smaller 8" speakers. It also helps that its build quality is top notch. Good reports continue to pour in from mobile DJs, musicians, sound technicians, event organizers, and even from those who simply want to listen to music at home.
As a testament to how good it is, there aren't any noteworthy complaints other than a few shipping issues, which are unrelated to the speaker's quality.
If you're looking for a compact 8" powered PA speaker that can double as a portable PA system, then the Yamaha DXR8 is highly recommended. If you're looking for 10" or larger options then take a look at our recommendations in our guide to The Best Powered PA Speakers.