Keith McMillen Instruments K-Board 25-key USB MIDI Controller
The K-Board from Keith McMillen does not look anything like the average keyboard, it also works quite differently.
Underneath each key is a "smart fabric" that detects velocity, pressure and location (tilt), allowing for more expressive realtime control. All three are assignable to parameters like volume, filter, pitch and more, making this keyboard viable for modern electronic music styles.
Plaid, Diplo and Jack Conte are just some of the artists who are using the K-board.
And it's class compliant, making it effortless to connect with any computer or device.
- Keys: 25 keys with pressure and tilt
- Pads: 1 Pitch bend pad
- Buttons & Knobs: Octave up/down buttons, 1 Sustain button, 1 Velocity on/off button, 1 Pressure on/off button, 1 Tilt on/off button, 1 Toggle on/off button
- Octaves: -2 to +3 Octaves
- Bundled Software: None. Recommended software listed on manufacturer's website
- Power: USB bus powered
- Connectivity: Micro-USB
- Compatibility: Class Compliant. System requirements for software editor: Mac OS 10.5 or later + Windows 7 or greater
- Dimensions: 12.8" x 3.3" x 0.43"
- Weight 0.76 lbs.
Many are impressed with the Keith McMillen K-board's modern functionality, especially those who are into modern music. There are also a lot of positive comments about its portability and distinct appearance. The rubber matte feel and light-weight design are physical features many people cited positively in their comments and reviews saying things to the effect that it was very sturdy and resistant to drops or even liquid spills.
Since it does not have a traditional keybed, the feel of rubber keys may take some getting used to. If you're looking for a MIDI Keyboard that plays like a piano, then this is not for you.
If you're looking for a versatile and portable electronic music friendly keyboard controller, then check out the Keith McMillen K-Board.